Florawave G330FS2.6 vs. 600W HPS
Here's a head to head comparison between the Florawave G330FS2.6 and the Phillips 600 watt high pressure sodium bulb (HPS) for a medium sized grow tent application. HPS has long been the gold standard for efficiency and productivity in grow tents for high light applications. Here's the assumptions for the comparison:
- PPF output within 6% (804µmol s⁻¹ Phillips HPS vs 858µmol s⁻¹ Florawave G330FS2.6).
- PPE of 1.34 for the HPS (Radetsky 2018), 2.6 for the GC330FS2.6
- Average of a 14 hour photoperiod (12 hours winter, 16 hours summer, 14 hours spring/fall)
- Electric cost of $.15/KW. (average cost in the USA. Can be 2x or more in Europe)
- Air conditioning removes heat generated from the lights.
- HPS bulb is replaced each year.
RESULTS: The HPS setup is significantly cheaper up front. At 1 year, the overall cost of ownership of the HPS is slightly less than the G330FS2.6. However, by year 2, the G330FS2.6 is 10% cheaper. By the end of year 5, the G330FS2.6 yields a 50% overall cost savings all while producing 6% more PPF. The localized environment in the upper portions of the grow tent would be lower due to the reduced heat output of the LED fixture (see Thermal Considerations for more discussion on this).
Other Cost Comparisons:
Florawave S40FS2.3 vs. GE LED Grow Light (medium PPFD grow shelf application)
Florawave P85S2.3 vs. T5HO Fluorescent (high PPFD grow shelf application)
Florawave P85FS2.3 vs. GE LED Grow Light (high PPFD grow shelf application)
Florawave G630FS2.6 vs. Gavita Pro 1000W HPS DE (Grow tent, grow chamber or greenhouse supplemental applications)
- An Introduction to Photobiology
- Here's how PAR is incorporated into Grow Light Metrics
- Older Metrics also are still used to describe some light sources.
- Here's more information about the characteristics of specific Light Sources.
- Thermal Considerations are pertinent in making decisions for grow lights.
- Cost comparisons are made between grow light technologies.
- Light level recommendations are made by genus.
- Videos of Florawave grown plants
- Observations are made on Nepenthes Lighting Response
- Industry leading grow lights offered by Florawave Biotechnologies
- Back to The Ultimate Guide to Grow Lights
Johnson, Jakob; Kusuma, Paul; and Bugbee, Bruce, "Efficacy of Two HORTILED Fixtures" (2017). Controlled Environments. Paper 11.
Nelson JA, Bugbee B (2014) Economic Analysis of Greenhouse Lighting: Light Emitting Diodes vs. High Intensity Discharge Fixtures. PLoS ONE 9(6): e99010.
Radetsky, L. C. LED and HID horticultural luminaire testing report. http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/energy/pdf/HorticulturalLightingReport-Final.pdf (2018).