Florawave vs. GE LED Grow Light (High Light Grow Shelf)
Here's a head to head comparison between the Florawave P85FS2.3 and the GE LED Grow Light for a common grow shelf configuration. Very few LED grow lights publish any specifications and this was one of the few models with available specs. Here's the assumptions:
- Light suspended 2 feet above shelf. Shelf is 4 feet long x 2 feet wide.
- PPFD of 90-120 µmol m⁻² s⁻¹. This would be considered optimal for most carnivorous genera and high light orchids.
- Average of a 14 hour photoperiod (12 hours winter, 16 hours summer, 14 hours spring/fall)
- PPF output within 8% (180µmol s⁻¹ GE vs 196µmol s⁻¹ Florawave).
- Electric cost of $.15/KW. (average cost in the USA. Can be 2x or more in Europe)
- Air conditioning removes heat generated from the lights for the warmer months (half the year).
- Fluorescent bulbs are replaced every year.
RESULTS: The Florawave P85FS2.3 is cheaper initially and provides a 30% operational cost savings by year 5 while producing 8% more PPF. Furthermore, the grow environment would be a cooler overall local environment with the lower heat output of the high efficiency LEDs. (see Thermal Considerations for more discussion on this).
Other Cost Comparisons:
Florawave S40FS2.3 vs. GE LED Grow Light (medium PPFD grow shelf application)
Florawave P85S2.3 vs. T5HO Fluorescent (high PPFD grow shelf application)
Florawave G330FS2.6 vs. Phillips 600W HPS (Grow tent, grow chamber or greenhouse supplemental applications)
Florawave G630FS2.6 vs. Gavita Pro 1000W HPS DE (Grow tent, grow chamber or greenhouse supplemental applications)
- An Introduction to Photobiology
- Here's how PAR is incorporated into Grow Light Metrics
- Older Metrics also are still used to describe some light sources.
- Here's more information about the characteristics of specific Light Sources.
- Thermal Considerations are pertinent in making decisions for grow lights.
- Cost comparisons are made between grow light technologies.
- Light level recommendations are made by genus.
- Videos of Florawave grown plants
- Observations are made on Nepenthes Lighting Response
- Industry leading grow lights offered by Florawave Biotechnologies
- Back to The Ultimate Guide to Grow Lights