Florawave vs. GE LED Grow Light (Medium Light Grow Shelf)
Here's a head to head comparison between the Florawave S40FS2.3 and the GE 4ft LED Grow Light for a common grow shelf configuration. Very few LED grow lights publish any specifications and this was one of the few models with available specs. Here's the assumptions:
- Light suspended 2 feet above shelf. Shelf is 4 feet long x 2 feet wide.
- PPFD of 41-58µmol m⁻² s⁻¹. This would be considered optimal for many carnivorous genera like Nepenthes, aroids and other tropicals and medium light orchids.
- Average of a 14 hour photoperiod (12 hours winter, 16 hours summer, 14 hours spring/fall)
- PPF output within 2% (90µmol s⁻¹ GE vs 92µmol s⁻¹ Florawave).
- Electric cost of $.15/KW. (average cost in the USA. Can be 2x or more in Europe)
- Air conditioning removes heat generated from the lights for the warmer months (half the year).
- Fluorescent bulbs are replaced every year.
RESULTS: The Florawave P85FS2.3 cost are initially the same and it provides a 33% cost savings in electrical costs by year 5 while producing 2% more PPF. Furthermore, the grow environment would be a cooler overall local environment with the lower heat output of the high efficiency LEDs. (see Thermal Considerations for more discussion on this).
Up Next: Light level recommendations made by genus.
See other cost comparisons:
Florawave P85FS2.3 vs. GE LED Grow Light (high PPFD grow shelf application)
Florawave S40FS2.3 vs. GE LED Grow Light (medium PPFD grow shelf application)
- An Introduction to Photobiology
- Here's how PAR is incorporated into Grow Light Metrics
- Older Metrics also are still used to describe some light sources.
- Here's more information about the characteristics of specific Light Sources.
- Thermal Considerations are pertinent in making decisions for grow lights.
- Cost comparisons are made between grow light technologies.
- Light level recommendations are made by genus.
- Videos of Florawave grown plants
- Observations are made on Nepenthes Lighting Response
- Industry leading grow lights offered by Florawave Biotechnologies
- Back to The Ultimate Guide to Grow Lights